Sunday, May 20, 2012

Brown in a White Land

When I came to Maine to live in the summer of 2009 I was struck by how white Mainers (lack of sunshine?) pun intended) are, and how old they are.

Statistics bear this out. According to an article in the Maine Sunday Telegram of May 20, columnist Bill Nemitz cites US Census Bureau data that reveals that 94.3 percent of the population is non-Hispanic white, thus elevating Maine to the pinnacle of the least colorful state in the nation.

Maine it turns out is also the state with the most old people. US Census data says the median age is 42.7.

Coming, as I did, from the Metropolitan DC area (15 miles west of the city) I had grown very accustomed to mixed race and color combinations that rendered the area a mini United Nations. But most non-Whites I encountered were of Hispanic origin or were African Americans. Come to Maine and many of the few non-Caucasians you'll see hail from places like Somalia or Kenya or Ethiopia, some as refugees from war-torn areas,brought to Maine by Catholic Charities.

I like diversity and am intrigued by the Somalis I see wrapped in their sometimes colorful robes and headdresses. How do they adapt to the not so warm weather of Maine? Surely they must wear warm clothing underneath their apparently light clothing that is geared for a Somali sun and not the cold wind of a Maine winter's day?

Meanwhile, the sight of so many old people frankly filled me with some dismay - not because I am that young. Rather that I may be old by association. For some reason an adage from a friend in Northern Virginia, an avowed Democrat, that Maine was: "Where Republicans come to die," made me feel a little uneasy at first - especially as I know a few Republicans here who are old.

As I ventured out on the roads I was surprised to note how slowly people drove their cars; and a glance into the driver's side window of a car I passed explained why.  Old people drive slowly.

Now, three years into my sojourn in Maine, I am growing more accustomed to seeing Somalis on the street and in restaurants. I am realizing that there many good reasons for old people to be in Maine. They can be close to their families many of whom have deep roots in Maine or come to the state because Maine is a great place to raise a family.

1 comment:

  1. Intriguing analysis! I did not know there were Somali's in Maine, I take it as a positive sign that, down the line Maine will also get multicultural population.

    ReplyDelete